Wednesday 16 February 2011

Pre-Op clinic: 38+6 weeks

On Wednesday afternoon, Auntie Lora took me to the pre-op clinic. As per normal, we had a bit of a wait: firstly for a nurse to give us an overview (arrival time, what to bring, where to go, general overview of the procedure etc) and take my bloods. I was first on the section list for Friday morning but I was still hopeful that the lady after me would get bumped up the list. She swabbed for MRSA and took bloods as part of the pre-op.

We returned to the waiting room after the nurse to wait to see an anaesthetist. He ran through the anaesthetic for an elective section - preferred choice is a spinal block (last resort, a general anaesthetic).

We ran through how the spinal block worked (regional anaesthetic directly into the spinal column, numbing me from the rib cage down) and the risks associated with the anaesthesia (none worth listing now I know I'm not effected). The anaesthetist was a nice man (shame he wouldn't be on duty on Friday). He even checked they could avoid my tattoos with their needles!

He sent us on our way with his hope that the ECV would be a success and with two tablets to stop me being eaten alive by stomach acid (I wasn't allowed to eat from 10pm the night before the procedure - even drinking was limited!)

No comments:

Post a Comment