Tuesday 8 February 2011

Ante Natal appointment: 34+4 weeks

Yesterday, Daddy and I went to Mr Afifi's follow up clinic for an appointment to discuss breech birthing. We didn't have too long a wait to see one of the senior registrars.

We had a brief discussion (explaining that we'd like to avoid a section if possible; that we'd tried acupuncture and hypnotherapy) and then he palpated my bump - you were still breech.

I've been doing the hypnotherapy daily so my gut feel (and Daddy's) is that you need to be breech for a reason. We discussed natural breech delivery and although I've done lots of research, having a doctor outline the risks to me and risks to baby gave me serious second thoughts. An emergency elective section was simply not practical. His recommendation was to book in for an ECV followed by a section if unsuccessful. That way, we still kept a small chance (50%) of turning you for a natural home birth but if it wasn't successful or distressed you in any way, I was prepped to have the elective to meet you. We discussed the risks of the ECV and there is only a tiny chance of it hurting you.

So, I'm booked to have an ECV possibly followed by a Caesarian section on Friday 11 February (11/2/11 is quite a cool birth date).

I'm not sure how I feel about it - every emotion from very excited to meet you to petrified of the operation or something happening to you. I'm also still having period painy surges so maybe you're ready to come and meet us anyway and I should stop worrying so much.

You're having big wriggles this morning.

Love you precious xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment