Tuesday 18 January 2011

Midwife 35+4 weeks

Yesterday, I saw Jacqui at the surgery for clinic. Firstly, she checked the letter from the consultant - she was happy that it satisfied her need for a sign off. My blood pressure and urine tested absolutely fine and she seemed in a lovely mood - I think she must like bigger bumps! All good for a home birth.

She said that Michelle had called her about a query breech and that she needed to check that before registering our wish for a home birth. After much playing with my bump she confirmed she was as close to as positive that you're breech as she could be without a scan. She showed me what she was feeling and I can see it too. It also explains the bump that often appears at the top of my bump - it's your head! I asked if there was anything I could do to help you move and she said not. She asked about movement and I explained that the majority was at the top of my bump, mainly wriggles at the bottom - that seemed to confirm that your almost folded in two with your bottom down. We listened to your heartbeat - you're sounding happy and healthy.

The plan is that I see Jacqui again next week and if you're still presenting breech, I'll be sent for a scan to confirm. Different hospitals have different policies but the general consensus was that a breech was likely to mean a c-section. We discussed it - my main concern is the recovery time and, unless it's in your or my best interests, I'd like to avoid it.

Auntie Lora has given me a few suggestions to get you to move - cold at the top of bump and heat at the bottom, running a light source down, Daddy talking at the bottom of bump and on all fours leaning on the birthing ball to name a few.

Fingers crossed pumpkin, I really would like to give you a relaxed natural birth. Do try your hardest to move for me while you've got some space left.

Love you very much xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment