Monday 8 November 2010

25+4 weeks

Time is really flying now! Hence the distinct lack of posts (rubbish Mummy). Bump is growing nicely, no hiding it now!

So, we went away for my birthday to a beautiful place in Wales called Port Eynon. We had a nice relaxing break with a beautiful sea view. Lots of good food with good company (Auntie Kerry, Uncle Mark, Auntie Hannah and Uncle John). You refused to kick anyone but me and Daddy :)

When we got home, I had a lovely treatment courtesy of Nanna at Ardencote Manor. The therapist started off by massaging my back before laying my on my back (with support so I wasn't too flat) to massage and exfoliate my feet, massage my bump, give me a facial, massage my scalp, neck and shoulders and my hands. Phew! Completely pampered.

I chased up my echocardiogram too - they've received my referral and after a little bit of persuasion, they've booked my appointment for 13 November (I've even had the letter). My follow up will be done at my 28 week appointment at the Ante Natal clinic, scheduled for 25 November.

You've been well behaved on the whole. Lots of reassuring kicks and wriggles (although a few less aimed at my cervix and my bladder would be appreciated) and even some kicks big enough to make my bump move.

My eating habits are pretty normal. Still hooked on ham and bacon but other than that, nothing unusual. I did have a sudden need for strawberry laces the other day...

I'm a bit prone to fits of crying or laughing (sometimes both) and I'm also often lacking in patience and quite snappy (although some would say that's nothing to do with pregnancy)... I've started getting tired now but not ridiculously so. I could blame that on the disturbed sleep as much as the baby growing.

My pelvis is very, very sore. Lower back pain has grown to lower back, hips, pubic bone and upper inner thigh. Moving can be quite difficult but I'm persevering with trying to strengthen my pelvic muscles. We bought a pregnancy ball to help which I haven't used yet but will soon. Also been recommended an osteopath by Auntie Lora (I'll start writing that like I've always spelt it so it's not so confusing) who I'm planning on seeing. In fact, I had booked to see her today but it didn't go to plan.

Just before I left work, I popped to the toilet to discover I'd lost quite a lot of fluid. Enough to have soaked through to trousers. It was definitely water-like, I assume colourless from wiping me and didn't smell of anything in particular. TMI but midwives ask!! You can imagine, I had a bit of a panic. I got myself to the car and called Auntie Lora, who was calm and reassuring and logical but recommended I called the midwife. I called Jacqui who said, quite bluntly, that it sounded like my waters had broken and to call the delivery suite at Birmingham Women's. This didn't help with the worry so by the time I called Daddy, I was in a bit of a flap. As your Daddy is the best Daddy ever, he made sure I was going home to call the hospital and left work to meet me at home. He also called to cancel my osteopath appointment.

The midwife on duty in the triage part of the delivery suite was very calm and reassuring but insisted I come in to get checked out. I called Daddy and then quickly listened to you on the doppler, not that you'd been particularly quiet today anyway. After I made sure you were okay, I called Auntie Lora who was very calming and called Auntie Rosie while I called Granny. By the time Daddy had collected me and we'd braved the traffic to get to the hospital, I'd spoken to Auntie Rosie and Granny too.

The midwife checked my blood pressure, urine, listened to you and inspected my underwear. Then we had to wait for the doctor. She went through my medical history and diagnosed me with SPD (my sisters both had this to varying degrees and I'm the most hypermobile so I expected it). Then she felt my tummy (you were head down) and forewarned me that she'd need to do an internal. I'll spare you the gory details - she checked my cervix (closed) and swabbed for amniotic fluid. I had twenty minutes to wait for the results.

An hour and twenty minutes later, we were told that the results were negative - it was possible that I'd had a small leak but not to worry. To take it a bit easy and to monitor closely any fluid loss.

By the time we left the hospital, the last thing I fancied was an ante natal class so I called Auntie Lora with the good news and to let her know we'd be missing our first class. She's going to do a catch up with us on Friday night. Obviously, I also called Auntie Rosie and Granny; everyone was relieved to hear that you're staying put for a while longer.

Auntie Kerry has subsequently sent me to bed (comfiest place with my sore pelvis) and I think I might be sensible and stay put tomorrow too...

No comments:

Post a Comment